Please see our QB Reading Manifesto for full details of our commitment to reading!
Queensbridge is a Reading School.
This means that we strive to read at every opportunity and in all subjects. Research tells us that this is the key to both academic and personal success, and is why reading for pleasure and progress is at the heart of our school.
In our school you will see:
- A thriving and well used library run by our dedicated Reading Engagement Coordinator, supporting pupils and championing competitions, rewards and incentives;
- Access to books for all pupils, including eBooks and audiobooks;
- Wider reading encouraged across the curriculum;
- Staff ‘Reading Champions’ across all subject departments;
- A dedicated reading hour for all Year 7 pupils;
- Reading age testing for all pupils to monitor progress and impact;
- Early Intervention and Support for pupils who need it;
- A strongly linked reading and PSHE curriculum for all Year 7 and 8 pupils;
- A range of engaging reading groups;
- Exciting ‘World Book Day’ celebrations;
- Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) time;
- Transition reading projects and holiday reading challenges;
- Support and guidance for parents with how to support their child with reading for pleasure and progress.
Each term we publish "The Word" Reading Newsletter - our reading bulletin for parents and carers.