Student Wellbeing

 If you need help in a crisis, contact one of the services below:

Text 'YM' to 85258  (YoungMinds Crisis Messenger service for free 24/7 support)

Text 'SHOUT' to 85258 (Shout is a free service available to any UK resident of any age)

Self Harm

Calm Harm is a free app providing support and strategies to help you resist or manage the urge to self harm.  It can be downloaded for Google Play or App Store.

You can also find self-harm coping techniques by visiting Self-harm coping techniques | Childline

Suicidal Thoughts 

HOPELINEUK is a confidential support and advice service for children and young people under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide, or anyone concerned that a young person could be thinking about suicide.   You can contact them for confidential support and practical advice.

 Either call 08000684141 or text 07860 039 967  or email everyday between 9am-midnight.

Eating Disorders

Beat Eating Disorders is a National helpline that is available 365 days a year to encourage and empower people to get help quickly.

Visit to access the online web chat or call the Youthline on 0808 801 0711 between 9am-8pm during the week and 4pm-8pm on weekends and bank holidays. 

You can also email

Lockdown/ COVID Anxiety

Heal Hub – Road to Recovery is a free online mental health support service for young people aged 14-25.  If you are struggling to cope in life after lockdown then Heal Hub are supporting young people through FREE video therapy sessions.

Email or text 07395629297

Support for LGBTQ+ Students
  • Switchboard: LGBT Helpline

Switchboard provides a one-stop listening service for LGBT+ people on the phone, by email and through Instant Messaging. 

Visit or call  0300 330 0630 between 10am-10pm every day.

  • Birmingham LGBT Centre

Birmingham LGBT Centre offer one-to-one apppointments, telephone and email support to residents of Birmingham. Services include sexual health, counselling, domestic violence, and trans wellbeing support.

  • Mermaids 

Mermaids is one of the UK’s leading LGBTQ+ charities.  It supports transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children and young people until their 20th birthday, as well as their families and professionals involved in their care.  They also offer web chat support to students up to the age of 25.  

Call the helpline on 0808 801 0400 between 9am and 9pm Monday to Friday.  Calls to the helpline are free from landlines and mobile phones within the UK and do not appear on itemised bills.

You can also email or if you are in crisis and need help text MERMAIDS to 85258 for free 24/7 crisis support.

Safety Online/Social Media

Childnet work directly with young people and other organisations to make the internet a safer place for everyone. 

If you are concerned by something you have seen online or on social media, they can help.

Other Apps & Free Services:

Kooth: Free online and mobile support for young people


  • Pause

Birmingham-based agency offering help to under-25s.

Pause are currently running a phone-based service while their centre in Digbeth is closed.

Call 0207 841 4470 to arrange a callback from their friendly staff. 

Alternatively, register online for support :

  • Young Minds

Worried about how you are feeling?  Having a mental health crisis?Check out or text YM to 85258

  • The Waiting Room

This website signposts many Health and Wellbeing services that are available in Birmingham and Solihull.

  •  MeeTwo

This is a free app for teenagers (11+) providing resources and a fully moderated community where you can share your problems, get support and help other people too.  It can be downloaded for Google Play or App Store.

  • The Mix

 A confidential helpline, email, webchat and telephone counselling service for young people under 25.Call the freephone number 0808 808 4994 (between 1pm-11pm daily).

  •  Childline

A free service available 24 hours a day to children aged under 19 to confidentially talk to someone about any problem big or small.

Call 0800 1111 or go to

If you set up an account you can also chat online or send them an email.